- Final recall expansion (Phase 5) to occur ahead of the recall schedule set by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Phase 5 has been moved-up due to significant recall completion progress on Acura and Honda vehicles subject to previous Takata inflator recalls, as well as the availability of adequate replacement parts’ supplies to perform the required recall service on all Phase 5-affected models.
- Prior to this expansion, Honda Canada’s overall Takata inflator recall completion rate was greater than 2/3 of the affected units.
- Since Phase 5 primarily includes Takata non-desiccated replacement inflators used for early recalled inflator replacements, the total number of recalled Honda and Acura vehicles in Canada will not change significantly with this action. Approximately 222,336 vehicles will be subject to this recall.
In conjunction with the fifth and final phase of planned recalls in the U.S. first announced by NHTSA in May 2016, Honda has decided to also conduct recalls in Canada covering approximately 222,336 Honda and Acura automobiles, to replace, free of charge to vehicle owners, Takata driver and passenger front airbag inflators that do not contain a moisture absorbing desiccant. With this final action, which is being taken six months ahead of NHTSA’s schedule, Honda has now recalled all Canadian Honda and Acura vehicles known to contain Takata non-desiccated airbag inflators.
The airbag inflators included in this Phase 5 were used as replacement parts for early Takata airbag inflator recall replacements or were part of whole airbag modules replaced for other reasons prior to February 2017. Excluding vehicles subject to the earlier Takata front airbag inflator recalls, only 2 additional Honda and Acura vehicles in Canada will become subject to a Takata airbag inflator recall for the first time because of this action.
Honda decided to take this action early, ahead of NHTSA’s planned expansion date in late December 2019, because it has made significant recall completion progress on Acura and Honda vehicles subject to previous Takata inflator recalls (completion rate as of 6/7/2019 was greater than 2/3 of the affected units), and because the company has adequate replacement parts to replace the airbag inflators in all affected Acura and Honda units, including those in the expanded population. Owners of affected vehicles can seek free recall service immediately at authorized Honda and Acura dealers in Canada.
In addition, all Honda motorcycles equipped with defective inflators in Canada were included in earlier recalls. Parts are readily available. For more information about the history of Honda motorcycle airbags, please visit:
Honda is announcing this recall to encourage each owner of an affected vehicle to take it to an authorized dealer for replacement of their vehicle’s airbag inflator, as soon as they receive notification of this recall from Honda. Mailed notification to customers is expected to begin in mid-July 2019. Additionally, owners of the vehicle models listed below can determine if their vehicles will require recall service by going to www.honda.ca/recalls or by calling 1-877-445-7754 for Honda automobiles or www.acura.ca/recalls or by calling 1-877-445-9844 for Acura automobiles.
With this new action, a total of approximately 1.5 million Honda and Acura automobiles have been or now are subject to recall for replacement of a Takata driver and/or passenger front airbag inflator in Canada, with approximately 1,180 Honda motorcycles subject to recall for the replacement of the Takata airbag inflator module.
Automobile models and model years included in this fifth and final expansion of the Takata non-desiccated front airbag inflator recall (certain specific vehicles only):
- 2001-2005 Acura EL
- 2013 Acura ILX
- 2003 Acura MDX
- 2016-2017 Acura RDX
- 2010-2012 Acura TL
- 2010-2012 Acura ZDX
- 2003-2007 Honda Accord
- 2001-2005, 2007 Honda Civic
- 2002-2005 Honda CR-V
- 2007-2011 Honda CR-V
- 2003 Honda Element
- 2009 Honda Fit
- 2002-2004 Honda Odyssey
- 2003 Honda Pilot
- 2008-2012 Honda Ridgeline
# # #