TORONTO (February 16, 2012) – At today’s Canadian International Auto Show (CIAS), Honda Canada unveiled the 2013 Accord Coupe Concept. Providing a first glimpse of the Accord’s new, athletic styling direction, the 2013 Accord Coupe Concept also features a host of new technologies that will make their first appearance on a Honda vehicle when the 2013 Accord Coupe will go on-sale this fall.
“This ninth-generation Accord will once again raise the bar with new Honda powertrain and safety technologies that will ensure Honda and the Accord continue to lead in fuel economy, safety and fun-to-drive performance,” said Dave Jamieson, assistant vice president of Honda Auto Sales at Honda Canada Inc. “Equally impressive though is the new styling direction that really demonstrates Honda’s commitment to athletic and sporty designs.”
The 2013 Accord will feature three all-new powertrains, including the first North American application of Honda’s new 2.4-litre direct-injected engine and of the two-motor plug-in hybrid system from Honda’s suite of next-generation Earth Dreams™ powertrain technologies. In addition, the V-6 Accord will be the first Honda sedan to feature a new 6-speed automatic transmission. Both the Accord Sedan and the Accord Coupe models are expected to achieve class-leading fuel economy ratings and will be available with a number of innovative new safety and technological features.
The Accord Coupe Concept’s styling features 20-inch, machine-finished, 5-spoke wheels that contribute to its solid stance. The rear taillights aggressively sweep into the body, while a trunk -lid spoiler and large exhaust finishers integrated into the bumper underscore the Accord Coupe Concept’s muscular exterior. The front bumper’s dynamic lines are highlighted by a revised four-sided honeycomb grille and deeply set multi-reflector headlights and the lower fog-light spoilers are accented by crystallized chrome inlays.
All 2013 Accord models will incorporate the Honda ECO Assist™ system, an innovative technology that can enhance efficient vehicle operation at the touch of a button, while also providing visual feedback to the driver to promote and confirm a more efficient driving style.
The 2013 Accord will also introduce numerous new features for enhanced driver safety, visibility and security. The new Accord will be available with Honda’s first application of Lane Departure Warning (LDW) and Forward Collision Warning (FCW) technology. Both systems use a camera mounted behind the windshield to alert drivers if the car is moving out of its lane or to warn drivers of a potential collision in front of them.
Also on display at the CIAS is the sporty, performance-oriented heart of Honda’s 2012 Canadian lineup and the newest vehicle to wear the Honda Factory Performance (HFP) badge - the Civic Si Coupe HFP. This vehicle is joined by the Remix Accord 2.0 and Remix Civic 2.0, two new after-market, tuned project vehicles that exemplify Honda's race-inspired DNA.
The All-New Civic Si Coupe HFP
For 2012, Honda is extending Honda Factory Performance program to include the 2012 Civic Si Coupe HFP. Joining the Accord HFP, which made its debut in 2011, the all-new Civic HFP will feature improved handling performance and more aggressive styling characteristics. The 2012 Civic Si Coupe HFP will go on sale this spring.
“After receiving positive feedback on our Accord HFP from this past year, we wanted to deliver a similar performance and styling direction to Canada’s top-selling car,” said Jamieson. “Civic Si Coupe HFP is perfect for the car enthusiast who wants to take both performance and style to the next level!"
2012 Civic Si Coupe HFP Highlights:
• 2.4 litre, DOHC i-VTEC® engine, 4-cylinder 16-valve with 201 horsepower and 170 lb.-ft. of torque
• Close-ratio 6 speed manual transmission
• 18" HFP aluminum-alloy wheels with Michelin Super Sport Performance Tires
• HFP Suspension Package
• HFP side underbody, front bumper underbody and rear bumper underbody spoilers
• HFP exterior badging and interior floor mats
• Helical limited-slip differential
• Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with bilingual Voice Recognition
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel
• Sport seats with high-contrast stitching and embroidery
• 360-watt AM/FM/CD premium audio system with MP3/Windows Media® Audio playback capability and 7 speakers including subwoofer, USB, and XM Satellite Radio
• HandsFreeLink™-bilingual Bluetooth® wireless mobile phone interface
All-New Honda Remix 2.0 Civic and Remix 2.0 Accord
Honda has once again teamed up with Performance Auto & Sound Magazine (PASMAG) to push the limits of both performance and expressive design with Honda vehicles. This partnership was designed to connect Honda with its vast network of enthusiasts across the country, and demonstrate the tuning potential of Honda platforms Beyond the unique exterior design scheme of the Remix 2.0 Accord and Civic, significant upgrades under the hood were added to back up their aggressive demeanour
“These Remix cars are all about providing experts with an open canvas to do what Honda enthusiasts have always loved doing – taking a great Honda and personalizing it,” said Jamieson.
For more information about the Civic Si HFP and Remix 2.0, please click here.
Remix Civic Si Coupe Overview
The philosophy behind the Civic Si Remix was to take an already sporty vehicle and showcase its aftermarket performance potential, including increasing the engine’s output. To accomplish this, a full Race Turbo Kit (designed specifically for the Civic Si’s 2.4L engine) and Borg Warner EFR 7163 Turbo have been installed, providing the Remix Civic Si Coupe an output boost to more than 400 horsepower.
To accentuate the car’s new, more aggressive nature, the body has been treated with black trim to provide contrast with the stylish Frozen Grey paint and a carbon fibre hood has been added to reduce weight. The wheels were also upgraded to 19x8.5 Konig Avanti alloys.
Other modification highlights include:
• Full Honda Factory Performance (HFP) body kit
• HSD Coilovers
• Wilwood Engineering Superlite 6R Front Brakes
• Vibrant ™ Sports Exhaust
• Factory seats were replaced with red Sparco Chrono front seats, a Momo Race Evo shift knob and Momo Gotham Racing pedals for precise inputs
• Philips LED lighting installed throughout the cabin
• Addition of Kenwood’s DNX6180 double-din Multimedia DVD Receiver with Navigation and Bluetooth.
• Impressive 6.1-inch touchscreen offers vivid image quality and an intuitive GUI.
Remix Accord V6 Coupe Overview
In 2011, Performance Auto & Sound Magazine (PASMAG) brought some of the Accord V6’s performance potential to light through the Remix Accord -- a vehicle that featured style and performance enhancements both inside and out. That vehicle created a lot of buzz and served as a reminder of Honda’s performance core.
For 2012, Honda and PASMAG, along with its partners at International Automotive and Custom, are taking performance enhancement to an exciting new level with the Remix Accord 2.0.
With the 2012 Accord V6 already producing a very respectable 271 horsepower with its 3.5L V6, the challenge for PASMAG was to crank up the performance, and enhance the car’s winning style at the same time. To do so, a CT Engineering Supercharger now pushes peak horsepower well north of 300. A Magnaflow stainless steel muffler and a custom stainless exhaust were also installed to allow the fumes to escape quickly and produce a throatier sound.
The focus then turned towards enhancing the Accord Coupe’s muscular looks. The application of Matte Frozen Grey paint is accentuated with Black trim, creating a truly muscular and menacing appearance. Twenty-inch Vossen VVS-CV3 alloy wheels with a matte black machined finish were have been installed and then wrapped in Kumho rubber, with P245/30/20s up front and P275/30/20 in the rear.
Other modification highlights include:
• Full Honda Factory Performance (HFP) body kit
• Eurolite HID low-beams and Philips Crystal Vision Ultra-Bright high beams
• Rotora Front Brakes
• BC Racing Coilovers
• Leather seat covers in both the front and rear
• Race shift knobs and pedals
• Philips LED lighting installed throughout the cabin.
• JBL GTO1004 4-channel amp featuring variable electronic crossover and bass boost
• Bazooka BTA10100FHC 10-inch Amplified Basstube
• JBL P660C 6.5-inch 2-way component speaker systems and a set of JBL GTO628 6.5-inch speakers surround the occupants with sound.
For more information about the Remix Accord 2.0, please click here.
Further information is available upon request or by visiting www.hondanews.ca