• Honda Canada Inc. combined and Honda Auto Division set all-time annual sales records
• Acura Division annual sales top 20,000 units for the second consecutive year
• Civic becomes Canada’s best-selling passenger car for 19th consecutive year
• 99% of HCI vehicles sold in Canada built in North America
MARKHAM, ON (January 4, 2017) – Honda Canada Inc. (HCI) today reported an annual sales increase of 5% in 2016, on sales of 186,676 units by the Honda and Acura divisions combined, celebrating all-time annual sales for the third year in a row. Honda Automobile Division set a third consecutive annual sales record, up 6% over last year, on sales of 166,449 units in 2016. Although the Acura Division topped 20,000 units sold for the second consecutive year, the brand reported a decrease of 4% on annual sales of 20,227 units.
“2016 was very rewarding for Honda Canada, as we continue to add more Canadian customers to the Honda family each year. We intend to build on our success by remaining focused on delivering a complete line-up of quality and value-oriented vehicles to a wide variety of Canadians,” said Dave Gardner, Senior Vice President of Operations, Honda Canada Inc. “As our loyal customers are a key pillar of our success, we’d like to thank the thousands of Canadians who supported Honda and Acura this past year.”
“Honda also celebrated the hard work and dedication of generations of manufacturing associates in 2016, as Honda of Canada Mfg. celebrated its 30th anniversary of automobile production in Canada in November. We are extremely proud to say that more than 53 percent of Honda vehicles sold in Canada in 2016 were built by Canadians, for Canadians at Honda’s manufacturing facility in Alliston, Ontario,” added Gardner.
2016 Honda Canada Inc. highlights
• Honda Canada set a third consecutive all-time annual sales record in 2016 with 186,676 sales, versus the previous best annual sales of 177,506 units in 2015.
• 2016 sales represent the fifth consecutive year of annual HCI sales increases.
• Honda brand had its best year in company history with 166,449 sales versus the previous all-time record year in 2015 with 156,503 sales.
• Honda Division celebrates five consecutive years of annual sales increases.
• Honda Civic becomes Canada’s best-selling passenger car in Canada for the 19th consecutive year.
• With seven years of consecutive annual sales growth, Honda CR-V had its best year ever with 44,789 sales versus the previous best in 2015 with 38,961 sales.
• Honda HR-V set an annual record on sales of 12,371 units versus 8,959 units in 2015.
• Acura brand posts second consecutive year of more than 20,000 unit sales.
• In September, the Acura brand sold its 500,000th unit in Canada.
• Acura RDX had its best year ever with 8,047 units sold versus the previous best in 2015 with 7,380 units, marking five years of consecutive sales growth.
Honda Canada Inc. (HCI) was founded in 1969 and is the parent company for both Honda and Acura vehicle brands in Canada. The company has produced more than seven million cars and light trucks since 1986 at its two manufacturing facilities and builds engines at a third manufacturing plant in Alliston, Ontario. Both manufacturing facilities are extremely flexible and currently build Honda Civic and CR-V models. Honda Canada has invested more than $3.9 billion in Canada and each year it sources nearly $2.1 billion in goods and services from Canadian suppliers. Honda Canada has sold more than four million Honda and Acura passenger cars and light trucks in Canada.