Honda Civic continues to top competitors in the passenger car category
Acura RDX and MDX post May monthly sales records
MARKHAM, ON (June 3, 2014) – Combined May sales of 18,512 units by the Honda and Acura divisions of Honda Canada Inc. represented an 11% increase over last year’s sales. The Honda Automobile Division reported May sales of 16,507 units, up 12% over last year. The Acura Division reported May sales of 2,005 units, down 2% versus last year.
“With five consecutive months of sales increases in 2014, we are delighted to see so many Canadians supporting our utility vehicle line-up. To further sales momentum through the Spring, our popular two-month ‘Checkered Flag’ sales event begins today, leveraging Honda’s exciting relationship with IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe,” said Dave Gardner, vice president of sales and marketing, Honda Canada Inc. “Launching a fully integrated marketing campaign around the sales event and having James on board, allows us to bring attention to Honda’s unique corporate culture rooted in racing.”
• Honda Civic holds its position as the number one selling passenger car in Canada through the fifth month of 2014 (up 18% in May versus last year)
• Honda Fit monthly sales were up 119% versus the same period last year (1,773 versus 809 units sold)
• Honda Odyssey sales increased by 3% versus the same period last year (1,351 versus 1,318 units)
• Acura MDX monthly sales were up 16% in May versus the same period last year, which sets an all-time May sales record (674 versus 625 units sold in May 2012)
• Acura business was led by 720 delivered units of the RDX, breaking an all-time May sales record set in May 2013 (720 versus 690 units sold)
Honda Canada Inc. was founded in 1969. It has produced more than 6.5 million cars and trucks since 1986 at its two manufacturing facilities and builds engines at a third manufacturing plant in Alliston, Ontario. Both manufacturing facilities are extremely flexible and currently build Honda Civic and CR-V models. Honda Canada has invested more than $3 billion in Canada and each year it sources nearly $1.98 billion in goods and services from Canadian suppliers. Honda Canada has sold more than 3.9 million Honda and Acura passenger cars and light-duty trucks in Canada.