MONTREAL, QC (January 17, 2012) – Today, at the Montreal International Auto Show, Acura gave Canadian media their first look at two vehicles that will help redefine Canadians’ expectations of what a luxury car can be.
Making its Canadian debut, the 2014 Acura MDX Prototype evokes strength and excitement and once again raises the bar in the luxury SUV category it created. Utilizing “Aero Sculpture” design language impacting form and function, the 2014 MDX Prototype features alluring proportions with smooth, arching body lines matched to an efficient architecture. The new MDX will feature a new direct-injected 3.5 litre V-6 engine that will deliver improved torque and expected class-leading fuel economy.
“Since its introduction, and with every new generation, the MDX has redefined what an SUV can be,” said Jerry Chenkin, executive vice president, Acura Canada. “In true Acura fashion, this next model will take the current MDX’s inspired performance and move the needle further by improving fuel economy, luxury and comfort. It’s a very exciting time for the Acura brand and we’re looking forward to continuing the momentum from 2012 into 2013.”
Also making its first Canadian appearance was the all-new 2014 Acura RLX – the most powerful, spacious, and technologically-advanced Acura sedan ever. Utilizing an all-new direct-injection engine, lightweight body structure and the first-ever application of Acura Precision All-Wheel Steer™, the 2014 RLX delivers a new and dynamic driving experience unlike that of any other luxury performance sedan. Inside, the RLX also features the Canadian introduction of the AcuraLink® connectivity system, which delivers a wealth of communication and entertainment features.
“This RLX achieves our goal of beautiful, timeless design with flowing lines that make a statement from any angle,” said Chenkin. “Like the new ILX, RDX and MDX, this new RLX represents Acura’s return to setting new standards in the luxury market.”
About the all-new 2014 Acura MDX Prototype
The “Aero Sculpture” styling of the 2014 MDX Prototype pursues the direction of a strong, bold, and premium appearance with low, wide and sleek proportions; clean, efficient and uncluttered design; and elegant, premium detailing, including the next-generation Acura grille design and signature Acura Jewel Eye™ LED headlights. This “aero” image also reflects significant gains in aerodynamic efficiency, up 16 percent compared to the outgoing 2013 MDX, achieved through extensive testing in Honda R&D Americas’ new wind-tunnel laboratory in Raymond, Ohio – where the vehicle is being created.
The 2014 MDX Prototype’s sculpted exterior and arcing roofline (35 mm lower than the outgoing model) encase what will be an even more spacious and versatile cabin compared to the outgoing 2013 MDX. The 2014 MDX Prototype features a longer wheelbase that enhances ride quality, increases second-row legroom, and improves third-row seat access.
The 2014 MDX will also feature an all-new, more rigid and lightweight chassis, including new front and rear suspension designs that deliver a more refined, confidence-inspiring, and sporty driving character. An all-new, direct injected 3.5-litre i-VTEC SOHC V-6 powerplant with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) provides more spirited performance while realizing a significant increase in fuel economy to class-leading levels. Special attention was also paid to improving cabin quietness, which is greatly enhanced by the vehicle’s all-new chassis and body design and new sound-deadening techniques.
The 2014 MDX will also be equipped with a broad array of advanced safety and visibility technologies, including the next generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure, as well as Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Multi-Angle Rearview Camera; and available Blind Spot Information (BSI), Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS), and Active Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow. Further, the 2014 MDX is designed to achieve top-level safety ratings, including a 5-star Overall Vehicle Score from the U.S. NHTSA and a TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the IIHS1.
All 2013 Acura models achieve at least a TOP SAFETY PICK safety rating, while the TL sedan was one of the first two vehicles in the industry to achieve TOP SAFETY Pick+ status.
The new MDX will also feature a full array of advanced infotainment technologies, including the AcuraLink cloud-based connected car system featuring SMS texting, SiriusXM™ radio and cloud-based Aha™ by Harman that brings thousands of personalized news, information and media feeds into the vehicle via the customer’s compatible smartphone and data plan.
AcuraLink will also be available with a host of convenience, safety and security features, such as automated crash notification, remote locking/unlocking, emergency “SOS” call feature, and live-operator concierge services.
About the all-new 2014 Acura RLX
Featuring the first-ever application of Acura Precision All-Wheel Steer™ (P-AWS) the RLX achieves new levels of handling agility, high- and low-speed maneuverability, and confident handling control for a two-wheel-drive luxury sedan. Precision All-Wheel Steer is the world’s first technology to feature independent and continuous control of the left and right rear-wheel steering (toe) angles. Its benefits include crisper lane changes, more nimble cornering, enhanced dynamic response, tighter turning radius, and confidence-inspiring control.
As previously announced, a version of RLX featuring Acura’s new Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive® (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD®) technology, producing 370 horsepower with expected fuel-economy ratings of 30 city/30 highway/30 miles per gallon2 combined, will debut later in 2013.
Exterior Design and Function
The RLX follows an “aero-fused” exterior design motif with its wide and athletic stance, sharp upswept bodylines, aerodynamic greenhouse, and distinctive new Jewel-Eye™ LED headlights offering improved down-the-road illumination and lighting characteristics. The RLX’s sleek upper body combines with aerodynamic features to deliver best-in-class levels of aerodynamic efficiency.
Additional exterior features available on the RLX include 19” aluminum alloy wheels, unique LED taillights, front and rear parking sensors, heated and auto-dimming side mirrors, and rain-sensing windshield wipers.
Interior Design and Function
The RLX interior features premium, soft touch materials throughout, with the tasteful application of premium metal and wood-grain accents. A stitched leather instrument panel, centre console and steering wheel, along with available Milano perforated leather seats, communicate a new level of craftsmanship and refined luxury appeal in Acura’s top-of-the-line sedan.
Luxury form and function are intelligently integrated in the RLX’s new centre console, featuring dual screens – an 8-inch navigation screen and a 7-inch On-Demand Multi-Use Display™ touch screen – that provide easy and direct one-touch access to key functions, including audio, climate control, navigation, and text-to-voice SMS text message functionality. The sliding, leather-trimmed armrest conceals a dual-hinged centre storage compartment with easy access for both the driver and front passenger to USB connectivity, 12-volt accessory power outlet and space to store tablets and other electronic devices.
New Direct-Injected i-VTEC® V-6 with VCM
The 2014 RLX is powered by an all-new, 3.5-litre, direct-injected SOHC i-VTEC® V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management™. Rated at 310 horsepower, the engine delivers exceptional drivability, with more than 90-percent of its peak 272 lb.-ft. of torque available from 2000 rpm to 6600 rpm. Variable Cylinder Management with 3-cylinder and 6-cylinder operation works in concert with the VTEC valvetrain to deliver superb cruising efficiency. The engine is mounted to a lightweight and rigid aluminum front subframe using a vibration-canceling Active Control engine Mount (ACM) system.
AcuraLink® Connectivity System
The RLX is equipped with the AcuraLink® cloud-based connected car system, delivering a comprehensive array of media, convenience, and security services via embedded two-way communications and web-enabled devices. AcuraLink® leverages the Aha™ by Harman cloud-based interface to provide users with thousands of customizable cloud-based news, information and media feeds. AcuraLink® also delivers an array of available security and convenience features, such as AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ featuring freeway traffic and, for the first time, surface street traffic information; airbag deployment notification; stolen vehicle tracking; remote locking and unlocking; security alarm notification; and 24-hour personalized concierge services.
Advanced Safety, Visibility, and Driver Assistive Technology
The RLX offers a bevy of leading-edge safety technologies, including standard Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), seven smart-deploying airbags including a driver’s knee airbag, and Acura’s next-generation Advanced Compatibility Engineering II (ACE II) body structure.
The RLX is anticipated to earn top-level safety ratings, including a U.S. 5-star NCAP Overall Vehicle Score1. The RLX is also expected to join the Acura TL sedan in earning a U.S. IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating, including a GOOD rating in the stringent new IIHS small overlap frontal crash test.
The RLX also offers a comprehensive list of advanced visibility and driver-assistive technologies, including the standard Expanded View Driver’s Mirror and Multi-View Rear Camera with Dynamic Guidelines, along with available Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS) system, Collision Mitigation Brake (CMBS) system, Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow, Blind Spot Information (BSI), and front and rear parking sensors.
Additional details on key advances and technologies for the all-new 2014 RLX:
• Class leading interior space based on the RLX’s longer wheelbase and efficient packaging. At 4,982 mm, the RLX is similar in length to the outgoing RL, but it has a 50 mm longer wheelbase and is 43 mm wider, placing the new RLX well above the norm in the mid-luxury class. The flagship RLX sedan has up to three inches more rear legroom than competing models, including the BMW 535i, Lexus GS350 and Audi A6.
• Extensive use of lightweight materials includes the application of high-strength steel to 55 percent of the body, and the intensive use of aluminum—for the front fenders, hood, steering hangar beam, front and rear bumper beams, front subframe, and all-new “hybrid” front and rear door panels (steel inner structure mated to aluminum outer skin). The RLX weighs in at 1,788 kg (3,942 pounds). Static bending and torsional body rigidity are up 52 percent and 46 percent, respectively.
• Jewel-Eye™ LED headlights (an Acura first) LED lamps enhance the RLX’s modern and distinctive appearance while providing outstanding light distribution and improved down-the-road illumination.
• Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition™ offers a wide range of search options including local search functionality and AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ for both highways and surface streets.
• Agile Handling Assist (an Acura first) uses active braking to help the driver smoothly and easily trace the desired line through a curve with smaller steering inputs.
• Electric Parking Brake (an Acura first) provides one-touch parking brake activation.
• Automatic Brake Hold (an Acura first) maintains the vehicle’s position when the driving or parking brake are released until the throttle is depressed.
• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (an Acura first), allows the RLX to independently maintain a set following distance in low-speed traffic situations, including stop and go traffic, and to initiate vehicle braking when necessary.
• Forward Collision Warning (FCW) uses a camera mounted in the upper portion of the windshield to detect vehicles ahead of the RLX and audibly and visually alert the driver when it determines a frontal collision with a detected vehicle is possible.
• Lane Departure Warning (LDW) uses the same windshield-mounted camera to detect lane markings on the road and alerts the driver if the vehicle is wandering from a detected lane.
• Front seatbelt e-pretensioners use electronic control to reduce belt tension under normal driving conditions, while also enabling automatic belt tensioning in hard cornering maneuvers or in the event of a collision.
• Multi-angle rearview camera with dynamic guidelines uses dynamic guidelines that reflect steering wheel inputs on the display to aid in backup maneuvers.
• Capless fueling (an Acura first) eliminates the fuel cap and improves ease of fueling.
Further information is available upon request or by visiting www.acuranews.ca.
# # #
1Government 5-Star Safety Ratings are part of NHTSA's New Car Assessment Program (www.SaferCar.gov). Vehicles tested under the new program cannot be compared to MY10 and earlier vehicles.
2Preliminary EPA mileage estimates determined by Acura. Final EPA mileage estimates not available at the time of printing. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle.
® The Bluetooth word mark and logos are owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Honda Motor Co., Ltd is under license.
® Sirius, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of Sirius XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries.