MARKHAM, Ontario (February 14, 2012) – Twenty-five years ago today, the Acura brand was launched in Canada. It was the beginning of a bold and successful brand venture – the first Japanese luxury nameplate had arrived in Canada.
Created to bring performance, elegant design, advanced technology and higher levels of customer service to the luxury import market, Acura has grown from 20 dealers selling just two models in 1987 (Legend and Integra), to the current network of 50 retailers selling six distinctive Acura vehicles. The line up now includes three utility vehicles (MDX, RDX and ZDX) and three sedans (RL, TL and TSX). To date, more than 400,000 Acura luxury cars and trucks have been sold in Canada.
“When we look back at Acura’s history in Canada, we can take great pride in the many things we’ve accomplished," said Jerry Chenkin, executive vice president, Honda Canada Inc. “We’re pleased to be celebrating this anniversary year with two exciting new vehicles coming this spring and additional models over the next several years that herald a dynamic future, firmly rooted in our core values of innovation, technology, luxury, and value, all built on a foundation of dependability, quality and reliability.”
On Thursday, Acura will unveil three important vehicles at the Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto – the long-awaited Acura NSX Concept, the all-new Acura ILX sedan and the completely redesigned Acura RDX. The RDX is scheduled to be in dealerships in early April, with the all-new ILX entry-luxury sedan planned to arrive later in the spring.
“The NSX Concept, all-new ILX sedan, and redesigned RDX have been designed from the ground up with Acura DNA,” said Chenkin. “And what better way to celebrate Acura’s 25th anniversary here in Canada than by showing Canadians what’s next.”
25 YEARS OF ACURA FIRSTS:
• First Japanese luxury automotive brand in Canada - 1987
• First all-aluminum bodied production vehicle – 1990 NSX
• First Variable Valve Timing and Lift Control system (VTEC®) – 1992 Integra
• First luxury brand import to design, engineer and assemble vehicles in North America – 1996 Acura CL
• First in-dash satellite-linked navigation system – 1996 RL
• First 4-channel ABS system – 1997 EL
• First dual-stage driver and passenger side airbags – 1999 TL
• First 3-row luxury SUV (MDX) – 2001
• First i-VTEC system – 2002 RSX
• First brand to offer XM® Satellite Radio as standard equipment – 2006 MDX
• First brand to offer Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® technology as standard equipment – 2004 TL
• First Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE™) body structure for enhanced occupant protection – 2004 MDX
• First torque-vectoring all-wheel-drive system (SH-AWD®) – 2004 RL
• First use of acoustic windshield glass – 2004 MDX
• First standard DVD-Audio Surround System – 2004 TL
• First manufacturer to offer Active Noise Cancellation – 2005 MDX
• First U.S.-based NHTSA 5-star safety rated line-up - 2008
• First U.S.-based IIHS Top Safety Pick rated line-up – 2008
Acura is the technology advanced performance division of Honda Canada Inc. Six vehicles (TSX, RDX, TL, RL, ZDX and MDX) are marketed under the Acura brand. Both the Acura ZDX and MDX are produced at the Honda of Canada Mfg. facility in Alliston, Ontario.